Memory Care Architecture and Design Projects
Our Memory Care Facilities are designed to support the health, comfort and well-being of residents affected by neurological traumas and disorders, such as Alzheimer’s, dementia, Parkinson’s disease.
Each memory care design uses elements that aid residents treatment and care. Design elements include:
- Racetrack Concept: a logical circulation system allowing residents to safely wander without getting lost, by enabling them to return to their starting point
- Open Kitchens: a home-like kitchen space that encourages residents to observe and participate in meal preparation, this concept can be therapeutic for memory recollection
- Sensory Engagement: implementation of lighting, textures, flooring, and color schemes that aid in safety, comfort and promote therapeutic familiarity
Other DPA memory care design elements are continuous pathways for outdoor courtyards and memory boxes placed beside patient rooms for easier wayfinding.
About DPA: Memory Care Facility Design Specialists
Douglas Pancake Architects (DPA) is an architectural firm specializing in the design and build of memory care facilities for seniors and adults with neurological traumas and disorders. With more than 25 years of experience, DPA’s architects and design specialists, understand the importance of incorporating the best lighting, color schemes, and designs to assist with the physical, emotional, and psychological needs of facility residents.
About Memory Care Facilities and Services
What is a Memory Care Facility?
Memory care facilities take assisted living care a step further by providing a more specialized focus for residents with Alzheimer’s and other memory-impairing diseases. While still receiving support services such as laundry, daily meals, and housekeeping, memory care residents normally require a higher level of care with daily activities. Although memory care facilities can vary in offered services, there are a few basic characteristics that help define them.
Common Memory Care Facility Services
24-hour supervision and assistance, daily meals, medication management and laundry and housekeeping services
Memory Care Facility Features
- Residents with Alzheimer’s and other dementias
- Secure environments to ensure resident safety
- Private or semi-private rooms as well as common areas
- Activities to encourage community and connection
Memory Care Facility Architecture and Design Elements
- Easily accessible communal spaces (indoor and outdoor) that promote integration and socialization
- Aesthetically pleasing and functional furniture
- A color scheme with warm colors to stimulate appetite and provide a sense of safety and security
- Natural and LED lighting
- Carpet and hard floors with matte finishes
- Technology Integration