Independent Living Architects & Designs
What is an Independent Living Facility?
There is not a nationwide definition of an independent living facility, but certain characteristics help differentiate independent living facilities from other senior living options. In general, independent living facilities:
- Are often referred to as retirement communities
- House residents who are 55 years of age or older
- Offer seniors a sense of community by offering social programs and activities on campus
- Have amenities such as meal programs, housekeeping, and laundry services
- Often have onsite aquatic and fitness centers to allow residents to practice healthy, active aging
- Are ideal for seniors who do not want to worry about the maintenance of a home and yard but who are still able to perform daily tasks independently
Why is having an architect who specializes in senior housing important?
When building an independent living facility, it is imperative that the designer consider many components to create an environment ideal for its intended residents. Douglas Pancake Architects (DPA) is an architectural firm offering a specialized focus to address the nuances of building for the aging community. Aspects that must be carefully thought out include lighting, color schemes, and designing for autonomy. With 25 years of experience in senior housing, Douglas Pancake leads a group of talented independent living architects in understanding how to best design facilities to help meet the physical, emotional, and psychological needs of seniors. As the population ages, the need for more senior housing will increase, and DPA will be there to offer experienced and compassionate service to assist the most vulnerable members of our communities.